Rick Speciale, 45 years old, Husband and Father of twin 14 year old girls. I am Director of Internal Audit for North American Savings Bank.
What do you have to lose… for many people an investment in their health not only is good for yourself physically and mentally but benefits those around you
I was part way through the goal to lose 30 pounds I had gained from my former job where I traveled 95% of the time. My routine was I would go to the local big box gym and do 20-30 minutes of cardio and then workout a different body part every day (Chest, Bis/Tri, Legs, Back etc.). The main problem was it always got monotonous and after a few consecutive weeks of going I would take a week break which usually turned into a month or longer, start feeling bad that I wasn’t working out, and would repeat the cycle. This went on for a couple of years. It was just a boring routine no matter what programing I was following at the time and the results were extremely slow.
What you may see on TV (CrossFit games) may stand in your way of joining but that is just the 1%. It’s like any other professional sport you see on TV. Those are the best of the best of the best. The other 99% is just like you and me. We have family, day jobs, bills to pay. We are doing it to get in better shape for life so we can play with our kids, not get winded going up and down the stairs at work, look little better, have a little friendly competition, etc.
Going to S1 is one of the best parts of my Day. Mentally and physically it makes the rest of the day better. The people are great and sometimes even if I’m feeling really sore and don’t want to get out of bed I may still go to see (and laugh with) the people. Some of the most inspiring and some of the most hilarious things I have seen and heard have been from being a part of the S1 early morning crew. They are a great group of people and really fun to be around.
Well it was 5+ years ago, but I finished losing the 30 pounds that I had set a goal of losing and have for the most part kept it off. But overall I just feel better on a daily basis than I ever did before.
Just seeing people accomplish something that have never done before. Bar Muscle Ups come to mind. When you see it you think it doesn’t look that hard, but once you try you quickly find out how hard they are. Seeing people fail a bunch of times then finally get it, is amazing and you can see it all over their face. At the old location I vividly remember the first time CrossFit put them into an Open WOD. We spent an entire class trying over and over again to get it so we didn’t have to scale the work out when we were judged. After many many many reps of smashing that pullup bar into my chest I finally got one! I was super excited and was able to hit several the next day while I was being judged.
I believe it greatly helps me whether its mental or physical. I have two girls that are heavily involved in sports and I have spent a large amount of my time coaching their teams and/or playing with them doing those sports. We have pretty active weeks and weekends going from place to place while keeping up with work, sports, school, house stuff.
Well mentally I just feel better when I know have gotten a workout in for the day. I listen to my body (back, knees) more these days and don’t push it like I used to, but definitely feel better physically and mentally after workout. Sets me up me up for the rest of the day.